The Newtown Silos site is an integral part of the former Crago Flour Mill site which is a relic of late–nineteenth century and early twentieth century flour milling.   During this time milling was characterized by large city mills, positioned to gain ready access to railway transport for supply of grain and delivery to markets.

The entire site including railway sidings, silos, storage area, machinery and signage illustrates the evolution of wheat handling methods and the revolutionary change, spurred on by new design and construction techniques, from bagged to bulk grain handling during the 1920’s and 1930’s.